Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this on About.com and modified it to my tastes. I needed a recipe that would go into my Mexican Drunk Beans. Here it is! Tone down the chilis to get a milder taste.
- 3 cups chipotle chiles (or 30 dried chipotles)
- 8 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until it has reduced by about 1/3 (if using dried chilis, you should see skins falling off, strain.)
- Pour into a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Strain and serve chilled.