Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 4 1⁄2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed chipotle chiles
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 beef t-bone steaks (1-inch-thick or about 1 pound each) or 4 rib eye steaks (1-inch-thick or about 1 pound each)
- 1 loaf ciabatta, halved horizontally, each half cut crosswise into 8 5x3-inch slices
- olive oil
- 1 cup creamy gorgonzola (the least crumbly)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Finely grind bay leaves, paprika, chipotle, and cumin seeds in spice grinder. Reserve 1 teaspoon mixture. Transfer remaining mixture to plate.
- Sprinkle steaks generously with salt and pepper. Press both sides of steaks into spice mixture on plate and rub to spread evenly.
- Grill steaks to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Brush cut sides of bread with olive oil.
- Grill, cut side down, until slightly charred, about 1 minute.
- Spread Gorgonzola onto grilled side of each bread slice.
- Sprinkle cheese with ground black pepper and reserve spice mixture.
- Return bread to grill, cheese side up. Grill until cheese begins to melt and bottom of bread is slightly charred, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle bread with thyme; place 2 slices on each of 4 plates. Serve steaks with bread.