Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Adapted from Chris Schlesinger.
Make and share this Chipotle-Rubbed Steaks With Cilantro-Lime Butter recipe from Food.com.
For the spice paste
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro, including stems
- 3 tablespoons chipotles in adobo sauce (to taste )
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 rib eye steaks, each 2 inches thick (about 1 pound total)
For the cilantro-lime butter
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (from 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- To prepare, build a fire in your grill; if using a gas grill, turn both burners to high.
- Put all spice paste ingredients in a food processor and puree. Rub steaks all over with paste (it will be rather thick) and set aside.
- Combine ingredients for cilantro-lime butter in a small bowl and mash with a fork until well mixed and an even consistency. (May be made earlier in the day.)
- When all coals are covered with gray ash and fire is medium hot (you can hold your hand 5 inches above grill for 3 to 4 seconds), put steaks on grill directly over coals and cook until well seared, about 7 minutes. Turn and cook another 7 to 10 minutes for medium rare. Remove from heat, top each steak with a couple tablespoons of butter and serve.