Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I selected ingredients that represent a few continents to create a wonderful side dish of tender roasted potatoes and portabella mushrooms that get a lot of flavor from sweet onions and bell peppers strips, all brushed with savory seasonings. And the addition of dried chipotle chile adds a little heat (or more, depending on how much you wish to add). When making this dish, try a mix of half cream-skinned and half red-skinned fingerling potatoes for added color and appeal.
- 1 lb fingerling potato, scrubbed and halved
- 6 ounces portabella mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small green bell pepper, julienned
- 2⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chipotle chile, ground (jarred variety)
- 4 ounces swiss cheese, finely shredded
- Add potatoes, mushrooms, onions and bell pepper strips to a gallon-size zip-lock bag, and set aside.
- Mix together olive oil, garlic, sea salt, pepper, basil, and ground chipotle chile. Pour over vegetables in the zip-lock bag. Seal bag and shake well to thoroughly coat all the vegetables. (Feel free to increase or decrease any of the seasonings to suit your individual taste buds.).
- Add coated vegetables to a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Roast at 450° for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle Swiss cheese on top and return to oven for another 3-5 minutes, or just until cheese begins to melt. Serve while still hot.
These were good "home fries", but very spicy (I used the low end of the range). I was able to cover everything well with about 1.5 tablespoons of the oil. I also used less salt and cheese, just sprinkled them lightly on. I added the garlic in the last 5 minutes so it would not burn. The chipotle gives the potatoes a nice flavor. Served 3-4 as a side (or 1-2, if you are making it a meal).
Spicy, yummy potatoes! The only substitution that I made was that i used mozzarella instead of Swiss cheese. Absolutely delicious! Thanks for a yummy recipe!
DH and I really enjoyed these potatoes. I used oregano instead of basil. They were spicy but not too spicy for us to handle. Made for ZWT8 for The Fearless.