2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Bon Appetit suggested that this chipotle butter could be used on fish or pasta ... now I can't decide which to do first.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves plus 3 fresh fresh cilantro stem
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves plus 3 fresh oregano sprig
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves plus 3 fresh rosemary sprig
- 4 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles, in adobo*
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed in resealable plastic bag with mallet
- 6 lbs roasting chickens, rinsed, patted dry, neck, heart, and gizzard reserved
- 2 large onions, each cut into 8 wedges through root end, leaving root ends intact
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 warm corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1Using fork, mix butter, all chopped herbs, chipotle chiles, and crushed coriander in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.
- 2Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F Place chicken, breast side up, in large roasting pan; place reserved neck, heart, and gizzard alongside. Starting at neck end of chicken, slide fingers under skin to loosen, being careful to avoid tearing. Spread all but 1 tablespoon seasoned butter over breast meat and thigh meat under skin.Rub any butter remaining on fingers over outside of chicken. Sprinkle main cavity of chicken with salt and pepper; place all herb sprigs in cavity. Tie legs together loosely.
- 3Place onion wedges in large bowl. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon seasoned butter in small saucepan over low heat; pour over onion wedges and toss to coat. Arrange onions around chicken. Sprinkle onions and chicken with salt and pepper.
- 4Roast chicken and onions 30 minutes. Scatter garlic cloves around chicken; add 1/4 cup broth to roasting pan. Continue to roast chicken until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 170°F, basting occasionally with pan juices and adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls as needed to maintain juices in roasting pan, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 5Remove roasting pan from oven. Tilt chicken, draining juices from cavity into pan. Transfer chicken, onions, and garlic to platter. Tent with foil to keep warm. Add 1/4 cup broth and wine to pan. Place over 2 burners and bring juices to boil, scraping up browned bits. Strain juices into bowl. Discard fat from top of juices.
- 6Cut meat from chicken. Serve, making tacos with warm tortillas, chicken, onions, garlic, and avocado. Drizzle tacos with pan juices.
- 7* Dried smoked jalapeños in a spicy tomato sauce called adobo; available at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Latin markets.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Roast Chicken Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (712 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1824.3
- Calories from Fat 1158
- Total Fat 128.7 g
- Saturated Fat 39.5 g
- Cholesterol 527.6 mg
- Sodium 621.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 123.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: