2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Bon Appetit suggested that this chipotle butter could be used on fish or pasta ... now I can't decide which to do first.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves plus 3 fresh fresh cilantro stem
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves plus 3 fresh oregano sprig
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves plus 3 fresh rosemary sprig
- 4 teaspoons minced canned chipotle chiles, in adobo*
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed in resealable plastic bag with mallet
- 6 lbs roasting chickens, rinsed, patted dry, neck, heart, and gizzard reserved
- 2 large onions, each cut into 8 wedges through root end, leaving root ends intact
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 8 warm corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1Using fork, mix butter, all chopped herbs, chipotle chiles, and crushed coriander in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.
- 2Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F Place chicken, breast side up, in large roasting pan; place reserved neck, heart, and gizzard alongside. Starting at neck end of chicken, slide fingers under skin to loosen, being careful to avoid tearing. Spread all but 1 tablespoon seasoned butter over breast meat and thigh meat under skin.Rub any butter remaining on fingers over outside of chicken. Sprinkle main cavity of chicken with salt and pepper; place all herb sprigs in cavity. Tie legs together loosely.
- 3Place onion wedges in large bowl. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon seasoned butter in small saucepan over low heat; pour over onion wedges and toss to coat. Arrange onions around chicken. Sprinkle onions and chicken with salt and pepper.
- 4Roast chicken and onions 30 minutes. Scatter garlic cloves around chicken; add 1/4 cup broth to roasting pan. Continue to roast chicken until instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 170°F, basting occasionally with pan juices and adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls as needed to maintain juices in roasting pan, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 5Remove roasting pan from oven. Tilt chicken, draining juices from cavity into pan. Transfer chicken, onions, and garlic to platter. Tent with foil to keep warm. Add 1/4 cup broth and wine to pan. Place over 2 burners and bring juices to boil, scraping up browned bits. Strain juices into bowl. Discard fat from top of juices.
- 6Cut meat from chicken. Serve, making tacos with warm tortillas, chicken, onions, garlic, and avocado. Drizzle tacos with pan juices.
- 7* Dried smoked jalapeños in a spicy tomato sauce called adobo; available at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Latin markets.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Roast Chicken Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (712 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1824.3
- Calories from Fat 1158
- Total Fat 128.7 g
- Saturated Fat 39.5 g
- Cholesterol 527.6 mg
- Sodium 621.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 123.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: