Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
When I became a vegetarian I adapted many of my old Mexican recipes to be meat-free. This is one of my more successful attempts. I say they are burritos but really you can make them enchiladas, tacos, use for chile rellenos...or just eat the quinoa with toppings and no tortilla! You can add or subtract chipotle for spiciness.
- 1 1⁄2 cups red quinoa (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 15 ounces kidney beans
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Cook quinoa in rick cooker or boil in 3-4 cups water. Quinoa is done when you can see the white rings (like Saturn).
- Dice bell pepper and chop garlic. Heat oil in large skillet. Add peppers to skillet first and when they start to soften, add garlic. Add kidney beans and seasoning. Heat through.
- Add quinoa and stir thoroughly. Taste test for spiciness. If already too spicy, eat with sour cream, guac or cheese. On my burritos I also put tomatoes, black olives, and a small bit of cilantro.