1/1 Photo of Chipotle-Pumpkin Soup
1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is a nice twist on traditional pumpkin soup. Chipotle chiles give this soup a pleasant heat and smokiness without making it too spicy. Garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds or a light drizzle of pumpkin seed oil
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small pumpkin, halved and seeds removed (2 to 2 1/2 pounds) or 1 small butternut squash or 1 small acorn squash
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- creme fraiche, for garnish (or sour cream mixed with lime juice)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2Place the pumpkin, cut side down, on a baking sheet with sides. Add water and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the pan and roast the squash until it is soft to the touch, 40 to 45 minutes.
- 3Melt the butter and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil together in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until the onion is soft and light brown.
- 4Add the carrots and bell pepper and continue to cook and stir until the carrots are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, until it is fragrant but not brown.
- 5Add the broth, chipotle chiles, salt and pepper and bring the soup to a low boil over medium-high heat. While the soup is coming to a boil, scoop out the pumpkin flesh. Discard the skin and add the pumpkin to the soup. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
- 6Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the rosemary. Allow the soup to cool slightly before pureeing. Working in batches if necessary, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Reheat if necessary and serve warm. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Optional garnishes: Drizzle lightly with pumpkin seed oil; Sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds; Dollop with creme fraiche or sour cream mixed with lime juice.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle-Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.1
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 6.1 mg
- Sodium 297.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 1.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo