2 hrs 35 mins
This is from a Mexican-themed booklet I bought at the supermarket check-out. We made these with whole wheat tortillas and mango salsa--it's a new favorite of DH's! (*Because this is slightly involved, you may want to start the night before with the pork stock, or let it simmer all day so when you get in from work, the flavors really develop and prep time is quicker.*)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cups water
- 2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium white Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 soft tortillas, lightly roasted
- 1Bring the water to a boil in a Dutch oven over high heat.
- 2Add the pork, sliced Spanish onion, 3 tablespoons of the vinegar, and the salt.
- 3Return to boil, reduce heat, cover partially, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Remove the pork with a slotted spoon; cool slightly.
- 5Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.
- 6Shred the pork with 2 forks and set aside.
- 7Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat; add the oil and chopped onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- 8Add the garlic and cook for 15 seconds.
- 9Add tomato sauce, mashed chipotles, cumin, remaining 1 tablespoons vinegar, shredded pork, and reserved cooking water; cook 1-2 minutes to heat thoroughly.
- 10Remove from heat; cover and let stand 10 minutes to absorb the flavors.
- 11To serve, place about 1/4 cup of the pork mixture and one roasted scallion in a roasted tortilla.
- 12Roasted Scallions: Preheat oven to 425*F.
- 13Place the scallions on a baking sheet; drizzle evenly with the oil and toss gently to coat.
- 14Arrange in a single layer and roast for 10 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with salt and lime juice.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Pork Tacos With Roasted Scallions
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 786.0
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 80.5 mg
- Sodium 1418.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 31.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo