Recipe by Pinay0618
The original recipe simply lists a 7 ounce can of chipotles - I personally have never added the entire can, but use between 3 and 5 depending on who's home and eating supper that night.
Top Review by Darkhunter
Jezebel, thanx for posting! Prepared as written, and will make again. Goes together quickly and I will use the full can of chipotles next time. We like a little more heat in our chili, as I used the amount you suggested.
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen southern style hash brown potatoes, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 lbs coarsely ground pork
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped fine
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Return half of hash browns to freezer for another use. Cook remaining hash browns according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. When oil is hot, add onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, until onions become translucent.
- Add spices and stir to mix well.
- When spices are fragrant, 1 or 2 minutes, add pork.
- Cook at medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Add honey, chipotles and vinegar; stir well.
- Add hash browns and almonds; stir again.
- Pour 2 cups water into pot and stir.
- When liquid in pot comes to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.