Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The original recipe simply lists a 7 ounce can of chipotles - I personally have never added the entire can, but use between 3 and 5 depending on who's home and eating supper that night.
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen southern style hash brown potatoes, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 lbs coarsely ground pork
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped fine
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups water
- Return half of hash browns to freezer for another use. Cook remaining hash browns according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. When oil is hot, add onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, until onions become translucent.
- Add spices and stir to mix well.
- When spices are fragrant, 1 or 2 minutes, add pork.
- Cook at medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink.
- Add honey, chipotles and vinegar; stir well.
- Add hash browns and almonds; stir again.
- Pour 2 cups water into pot and stir.
- When liquid in pot comes to boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
Jezebel, thanx for posting! Prepared as written, and will make again. Goes together quickly and I will use the full can of chipotles next time. We like a little more heat in our chili, as I used the amount you suggested.