Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe has been adapted from Rebar Restaurant in Victoria, BC.
- 1⁄2 walla walla onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 lb tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (remove seeds if you prefer it milder)
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chili sauce (see note)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Place diced onion in a small bowl and cover with lime juice. Add water if necessary to cover. Let marinate overnight.
- In a bowl, combine tomatoes, marinated onions, and remaining ingredients.
- Stir to combine and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- The longer it sits, the more the flavors develop. This is excellent on omelets, quesadillas, or in tacos.
- NOTE: I use the extra gravy that comes in canned chipotles in adobo. You can use a chipotle hot sauce, if desired.