Recipe by ellie_
I came across this recipe and thought it sounded like a delicious summer appetizer when you're lucky enough to have mussels. Recipe source: Coyote Cafe
Top Review by Rita~
This was so so good! The mussles I bought couldn`t get fresher if I dug them myself! It came in 5 pound bags so we made a meal out of them. I sauteed the garlic in the oil then added all the ingredients using only 1 1/2 cups of hot water not 4 cups. I served with sliced, oven toasted Italian bread to absorb all the wonderful juices which I did not cook down. I made my own dip from store bought mayonnaise. Ellie, this was GREAT!
- 4 lbs fresh mussels, washed, discarding dead mussels and broken shells (about 50)
- 3 tablespoons garlic, sliced
- 2 oranges, zest of, only
- 4 tablespoons chipotle chiles, pureed
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 12 sprigs cilantro
For the orange mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk, room temperature (or use egg beaters)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare mussels, wash well and remove beard with paring knife and then place mussels in a large pot with garlic, orange zest, chipotle and water and bring to a boil, cover and let steam for 4-5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that don't open. Remove mussels and keep covered.
- Reduce liquid by half and add oil and orange juice.
- Divide mussels on the half shell (discarding other shell) evenly between soup plates and add broth. Garnish with orange mayonnaise and sprigs of cilantro.
- To make orange mayonnaise: beat egg yolk until light lemon color and then transfer to blender. Blend yolk while adding oil, a tiny bit at a time, pouring through cover, on low until all the oil is used. Put on high speed until combined. Add remaining ingredients (orange zest - cilantro) and blend. Let stand one hour before serving.