Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This spicy, flavorful steak makes a delicious filling for fajitas, tacos or sandwiches. Time to make does not include 30 minute marinating time.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 lbs skirt steaks, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 lime (optional)
- Mix onion, chipotle chiles, garlic, cumin, salt, chili powder, paprika and olive oil in a large bowl or ziploc bag.
- Add steak and coat completely and evenly.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Cook steak over high heat, until nicely browned and cooked to your desired doneness. (about 6 minutes for rare; 8 minutes for medium-rare).
- Remove from grill and place on cutting board; loosely tent with foil.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Squeeze juice of fresh lime over steak, if desired.
- Slice into thin strips, across grain.
- If making fajitas, grill some onions & peppers along with the steaks. Add other garnishes as desired, such as avocado slices and tomatoes.
- For tacos you may want to add lettuce, cheese & salsa.
- These make delicious sandwiches served on crusty rolls with grilled onions, mushrooms & peppers; topped with melted swiss or jack cheese.
I pre-sliced the steak to marinade and cooked it in a skillet with onions and peppers since it was raining. The flavor was awesome! Thanks for sharing!
My husband barbequed this and tasted the marinade. He thought it would be MUCH, MUCH too hot for eating. But.....it was terrific. Nice flavor. It left a little "zing" on the tongue, but a nice "zing".