Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
We love squash! Hot, sweet, spicy, EASY...and healthy! This kickin' squash dish has it all. Feel free to use full fat/sugar ingredients here, and adjust spices and syrups to your taste.
- 3⁄4 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1/2 pieces
- 1 small chipotle pepper, plus
- 1 -2 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fat-free margarine
- salt (optional)
- Combine the chipotle pepper, sauce, margarine and syrup in a small food processor and process until smooth.
- In a plastic baggie, combine all ingredients and toss to coat. (Let sit in the fridge for a few hours if possible.).
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread the squash out evenly on one layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with optional salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and then stir/toss.
- Bake another 10-15 minutes until squash is tender, stirring occasionally.
I've been looking for new ways to cook butternut squash and this one is definitely a keeper! The smallest squash I could find was 2 pounds, so I doubled up on everything except the margarine (and I think I may cut that down even more next time). After tasting the sauce, I ended up adding half a chipotle pepper, which definitely snuck up on me after cooking the squash, so be careful! I did let this set in the refrigerator for about 3-4 hours before cooking. I put the leftovers in the frig and I've been eating them cold ever since! Great idea!