1/3 Photos of Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese
J e l i s a's Note:
I think I'm really beginning to acquire the taste for chipotles, this is only the second time I've made anything with these smokey peppers. I found this recipe in a recent issue of Cooking Light. It only uses 2 peppers so if you want to save the rest for future use, just lay on waxed paper and freeze, once frozen, wrap each pepper and store in freezer bag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce (set aside)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
- 2 cups macaroni, cooked al dente (will yield 4 cups cooked)
- 2 cups reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/8 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, lightly sprinkle on top (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Boil 2 cups macaroni according to package (do not overcook), drain.
- 3Reserve 1 adobo sauce and set aside.
- 4Finely chop 2 chipotle peppers, onions and green peppers.
- 5Melt butter in heavy pot over med-high heat, toss chopped ingredients and stir.
- 6Cook until onion is tender, then sprinkle with 2 T of flour.
- 7Allow to cook for about 30 SECONDS then reduce to medium.
- 8Stir in the can of diced tomatoes w/chilies-- aka Rotel (I used tomatoes with jalapenos instead).
- 9Simmer for 3 minutes until sauce thickens.
- 10Now add the reserved adobo, cottage cheese, milk, cheddar, parmesan, macaroni and egg, stir well and pour mixture into casserole dish.
- 11Melt tablespoon of butter and add breadcrumbs, stir until breadcrumbs are moist, sprinkle mixture over pasta.
- 12You can also lightly sprinkle some more shredded cheddar over it before baking for 30 minutes until browned.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.4
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 63.2 mg
- Sodium 804.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 24.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo