Adopted this recipe on 9/06. Love the combo of flavors and agree with the suggestions of the reviewers, a pinch of sugar would be good.
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1 -2 tablespoon pureed canned chipotle chile in adobo, depending on spiciness desired
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 lime, thinly sliced into circles
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small red onion, halved lengthwise, then very thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 lbs very button mushrooms (or medium mushrooms, halved)
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped Italian parsley
- Toss all ingredients together and let marinate in refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve at room temperature.
Delicious dish, and a wonderful complement to grilled steak seasoned simply with salt, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. I reduced the oil by half without ill effect, and would suggest adding a little bit of sugar to cut the acidity (but not enough to turn this into a sweet dish, for heaven's sake). It occurs to me that one could prepare a yummy stir-fry with any leftover mushrooms and some thinly-sliced steak. If only there were enough left over! Darn, I'll have to prepare these again. :) Thanks for posting, MEAN CHEF.
Surperb! I followed the recipe exactly....and it doesn't get any better than this. It was wonderful. The best mushrooms I have had in ages. Thanks Mean!! I did find that it seemed to get better the longer it marinated, so I would reccommend overnight.
What a great salad! I reduced the recipe by half & then decided to add additional veggies. I loved the result & have already made it again. I added small cauliflower florets, sliced red pepper, julienned carrots, purple onion, and used cilantro instead of parsley. I also added 1 packet of splenda. It turned out colorful & sooooo good! The flavor is tart, spicy without being too hot, and the veggies aren't dripping in dressing. The second time I made this I paired with mexican food & the favors worked well. This would be a terrific dish for a pot luck too.