This is the Food Network's Ultimate Recipe Showdown winner, and is now on the menu at T.G.I. Friday's. This sandwich is fantastic! This is the ORIGINAL RECIPE, so what you order at the restaurant is actually their adaptation of the original chefs sandwich. The tender steak with the yummy plantains makes this sandwich addictive. Both versions are FANTASTICO!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large green plantains, about 10 inches long and 2-3 inches wide
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 24 ounces skirt steaks
- 6 ounces salted butter, melted
- 1 cup cajun spices
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili sauce
Crispy Fried Onions
- 1Peel plantains, and cut in half widthwise, then cut in half lengthwise.
- 2In a large pot or deep-fryer, preheat vegetable oil to 325°F.
- 3Add the plaintains to the oil, and fry for 5 minutes.
- 4Remove them and place on a flat surface.
- 5Increase heat to 375°F.
- 6With a metal flat spatula, press down onto the plantains until they are flat, less than 1/4 of an inch.
- 7Using a knife to help scrape the plantain off the spatula, deep-fry the plantains again for 3 minutes.
- 8Pull them out and season with salt and pepper.
- 9Combine the breadcrumbs, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, paprika, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder to create Cajun spice.
- 10Dip each piece of steak into 4 ounces melted butter and then into the Cajun spice, covering both sides of the steak.
- 11Spread the remaining melted butter onto a flat top or metal skillet, place the steak on top and cook on both sides until medium or preferred degree of doneness.
- 12After the steak is done, slice it thinly against the grain.
- 13Combine the mayonnaise and chipotle sauce to make the Chipotle Mayonnaise.
- 14Onions: In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- 15Slice the onion very thinly.
- 16Place in the flour mixture. Squeeze the slices of onion as you are mixing them with the flour mixture. Shake off the excess flour.
- 17Drop a little bit of onions into 375 F oil at a time to prevent sticking together. Cook for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 18Build a sandwich by layering 1 fried plantain, 1 tbsp chipotle mayonnaise (spread coast to coast on bottom plantain), sliced steak, and 1/3 cup of shredded cheese. Place under the broiler for 1 or 2 minutes or use the microwave to melt the cheese. Then continue layering 1/2 cup of fried onion, 1 more tbsp chipotle mayonnaise, spread coast to coast on top plantain.
- 19Cut sandwich in half before serving.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Grilled Steak Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (486 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1509.5
- Calories from Fat 878
- Total Fat 97.5 g
- Saturated Fat 44.5 g
- Cholesterol 277.1 mg
- Sodium 3057.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 28.2 g
- Protein 69.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chili sauce