Prep2 hrs 50 mins
I found this delicious recipe in the Chicago Tribune. The prep time includes the chilling time. This is supposed to serve 4 but, as in most of my 1-pounder shrimp recipes, my husband and I demolish the whole batch.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds or 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 whole chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 orange, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- pineapple, cubes (canned or fresh) (optional)
- For marinade, heat oil in medium skillet over medium heat; add onions, cook until light golden, about 7 minutes; add garlic and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; stir in water, vinegar, chilies and oregano; pour into a blender or food processor and puree.
- Return mixture to skillet; heat over low heat; stir in zest, orange juice and brown sugar; cook until thickened, about 10 minutes and then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Place shrimp in a large plastic food storage bag; add marinade; seal; turn to coat shrimp.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Soak 10 skewers in water for 30 minutes, if using wooden skewers.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat; place shrimp on each skewer (if using pineapple, place cubes on skewer in-between each shrimp); discard marinade.
- Grill 2-3 minutes per side; garnish with cilantro and serve.
Sweet and smoky hot. I did a quicker, raw verison of the marinade, then reduced it on the stove for a sauce.
This recipe is good, especially with the pineapple. The shrimp really does take on the flavor of the marinade. However, be ready for a lot of dishes. IMO, it is too much work for simple grilled shrimp.
Kicking Hot! I would suggest removing the seeds if you don `t go for the heat in a dish. I substituted marmalade for the oranges and light brown sugar because I didn't have fresh oranges. We enjoyed this very flavorful dish. I was going to grill it but the weather told me not to. So I made it under the broiler. Served it with white rice to cool the heat down. Just yummy. Thanks!