Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This Chipotle fish cake recipe was "Planned Over" Recipe when I needed to be frugal and quickly use-or loose- some delicious Barbecue Salmon (recipe on www.thekosherchannel.com/barbecue-salmon.html ). My challenge: adapting this exotic sounding recipe to my family's tastes while using only ingredients already in my kitchen. I came up with this winner. From The Kosher Channel.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 -4 slices soft bread such as challah
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooked boneless meaty fish such as salmon, flaked
- 4 slices pickled jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over high heat. Cook onion and bell pepper, stirring until onion is transparent, about 3 minutes. Lower heat to medium, add garlic and water, stirring constantly so garlic does not brown, about 1 minute.
- In the work bowl of a food processor, process bread into fine breadcrumbs. There should be about one cup.
- In a medium mixing bowl, gently combine 3/4 cup of the bread crumbs with the salmon, sauteed vegetables, jalapeno, cilantro, mayonnaise and seasonings. *(if you do not have chipolte seasoning, substitute with 1 tablespoon chili powder plus 2 teaspoons smoky barbecue sauce) Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes.
- Form mixture into 2” fish cakes, there should be about 12 patties of the same size and thickness. Coat with reserved bread crumbs. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat remaining oil. Brown fish cakes 2 to 3 minutes per side, remove to a baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until set. Serve warm with Avocado Salsa.
- Make Avocado Salsa: In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse 1/4 onion, handfull of cilantro and 1/2 jalapeno pepper until finely chopped. Add 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, juice of half a lime juice, and 1 ripe chunked avocado. Pulse briefly until mixture is the consistency of chunky guacamole. Serve with any Tex-Mex recipe like Chipotle Fish Cakes.
I didn't make the salsa but the cakes were great. I will be sure to have avocados next time. Loved the spice and how easy they were to put together.