Recipe by Roosie
This is from "lo" from the Simple Living boards... haven't tried it yet. Just posting here for safekeeping. ;-)
Top Review by Gingernut
I've given this 3-stars because, as written, this was VERY spicy and tasted mainly of chilis and water. However, I added 1 c. of canned pureed tomatoes to cool it down. With this adaptation, I found it still quite spicy, but much richer and tastier. This would bring it up to 4 or even 5 stars, in my opinion. I also left out the sour cream, so I could freeze what was left over. I put it on as a garnish instead. With the addition of the tomato puree, this made enough sauce to pour over about 15 - 20 burritos. I used the adapted version to make "Hefty-Defty Roly-Poly Weebles Wobbles But They Don't Fall Down Burritos" (#37673) "enchilado" style and it was absolutely restaurant-quality. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup broth (beef or veggie or chicken)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 -4 canned chipotle chiles, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce, from can
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook this roux until it is light brown.
- Remove pan from heat and slowly stir in broth.
- Place pan over medium heat and whisk in water.
- Add the spices, garlic, chiles, and adobo sauce.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Whisk in sour cream.