Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A zippy appetizer. Increase proportionately if using as a main dish and not an appetizer. From the Canadian Food Network.
Chipotle Dry-Rubbed Shrimp
- 3⁄4 large lb shrimp, tails on (12/15 count shrimp)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper or 1 teaspoon dried lemon zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Cilantro Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup lightly packed cilantro, leaves only and stems discarded before measuring
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Shell, clean, and devein shrimp. Leave the tails on for esthetics, if desired. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix oregano, thyme, lemon pepper, chipotle, salt and black pepper. Toss shrimp thoroughly with mixed spices.
- Heat oil in a well-seasoned iron skillet or non-stick pan over high heat. Wait until oil is smoking hot, then place about ten shrimp in it so that each one has enough room to lie on its side. Cook for approximately 1-1/2 minutes per side, or until shrimp is no longer translucent. Do not overcook.
- Serve hot or at room temperature, with cilantro dipping sauce.
- Cilantro Dipping Sauce: Blend cilantro and lime juice in a food processor or blender until cilantro is liquefied. Pour into a small bowl and use a fork to blend in sour cream until fully blended into a pale green sauce.
- Refrigerate until ready for use.