Recipe by Elizabeth Fullerton
I found this recipe on the internet. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds pretty good.
Top Review by Esther N
I love chipotles and was so excited to try this cornbread recipe. Very good and spicy. I served it on New Year's Day with black-eyed peas and turnip greens. Had a dense but tender texture. Slathered on some real butter. Yes mam, gets a thumbs up from my family.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sweet milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (or bacon grease)
- 4 chipotle chiles, pureed
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°, allowing the cast iron skillet to heat up with it.
- In the mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Fold in the egg, buttermilk, milk, oil, and chipotles.
- Spray cooking spray on cast iron skillet and pour in the batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- When cornbread is taken out of the oven, immediately run a knife around the edges and flip the skillet over onto a plate.
- Serve with butter.