Recipe by dicentra
This is from 365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian. “Chipotle, fiery little Mexican peppers that are actually smoked jalapenos, are commonly available canned. Puree the whole chipotles in the blender, diluting them with a little water or broth to lessen their impact. Bottles of chipotle in adobo sauce can also be found in the Mexican foods section of supermarkets.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (17 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons imitation bacon bits (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup cornmeal, baking soda, creamed corn, onion, bacon bits, buttermilk, cheese, eggs and chipotle sauce.
- Mix well to blend.
- Generously grease a 10 inch square baking pan. Sprinkle bottom and sides with 1 tablespoon of cornmeal. Pour batter into the pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.