Recipe by TJW
I have been making cornbread for years and came across this recipe in a back issue of Food and Wine magazine. It is the best corn bread I have ever had.
Top Review by sugarpea
You're right, TJW, this is a great cornbread. I had to add a bit more sugar, Yankee that I am. I didn't read carefully so I put the oil in the cast iron skillet before I put the pan in the oven. I know it makes a crunchy crust. 27* recipe, TJW.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix togeather all dry ingredients, and mix together all wet ingredients.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry until mixed. (do not beat, as this caused the corn bread to be not so light and fluffy).
- Place a corn skillet or cast iron fry pan into a hot (450) oven for 5 mins then remove and brush with oil.
- Quickly add mixture into pan and cook for 20 to 25 minutes WOW!
- Hope you like it.