1/2 Photos of Chipotle Corn Chowder
Chipotle chiles are dried smoked jalapenos that are dark brown in colour, they have a sweet smokey flavor and have lots of heat, use chipotles packed in adobo sauce, adobo sauce is a dark red sauce from ground chiles, with herbs and vinegar added. Chipotles are great to add into any recipe to "kick" it up... for this recipe it really adds so much flavor to the soup! Serving size is only estimated my DS can eat this by himself lol!... This soup is worth making, it is delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups canned corn niblets (can use more, or use frozen corn kernels)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (can use up to 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 chipotle pepper, minced (in adobo sauce)
- half-and-half cream or milk
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until crisp, remove and drain on paper towels; set aside (reserve a couple tablespoons of bacon fat).
- 2In the same saucepan add in the chopped onion, garlic and celery; saute for about 5 minutes.
- 3Add in chicken broth and diced potatoes; bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are slightly tender.
- 4Add in red bell pepper, corn, whipping cream and diced chipotle pepper; continue to simmer for 10 minutes, or until veggies are soft.
- 5Season with salt and pepper to taste (for even more spice season with cayenne).
- 6Crumble the reserved cooked bacon and stir into the soup.
- 7If the chowder is too thick, adjust with up to 1/4 cup half and half cream or milk and just reheat slightly.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (532 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 506.7
- Calories from Fat 205
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 61.6 mg
- Sodium 1414.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 9.5 g
- Protein 15.4 g