Recipe by mariposa13
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
OMG, this pesto is sooooo delicious! I followed the recipe exactly and added in olive oil, but slightly more than 4 teaspoons, I can't wait to buy more spinach to make more of this stuff to freeze, I have eaten half of it already with a spoon, it is THAT good, please give this a try, it's a fabulous and different pesto recipe, I love it! thanks so much for posting this great recipe mariposa!...Kitten:)
- 2 cups fresh spinach (leaves only)
- 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, roughly chopped
- 4 teaspoons olive oil or 4 teaspoons nonfat broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, combine the spinach, cilantro, parsley, pumpkin seeds, cheese, oregano, garlic and chile. Pulse to blend.
- With the motor running, add the oil and lime juice and process for 15 to 20 minutes until well blended.
- Scrape into a container, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- The pesto keeps for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Makes 2 cups.
- IDEA: Substitute chicken broth for oil and use the same day. Shake well before using.
- NOTES : Adjust the "fire" of the adobo (hotter than the chile) to your taste and experience. For more flavor, add tarragon, rosemary, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red bell peppers, roasted eggplant, whatever! Use as a condiment. Dab and swirl into thick soups. Toss onto hot pasta, especially good on polenta-pasta-twists. Add to salsa. The cilantro pesto could be made, I think, with less or no oil - sub broth.