Prep 55 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love the smokiness of chipotles! Grab a Corona and some chips and enjoy! From BH&G. This recipe can be made up to a week in advanced and stored in the fridge.
- 3 dried chipotle peppers or 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, rinsed, drained, seeded, and finely chopped
- 6 -8 tomatillos or 6 -8 one 13-ounce can tomatillos, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cut dried peppers open; discard stems and seeds. Chop peppers into tiny pieces. Place in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand 45 to 60 minutes to soften; drain well.
- Meanwhile, remove husks from fresh tomatillos; rinse. Finely chop the fresh or canned tomatillos (you should have about 2 cups). In a medium mixing bowl combine pepper pieces, chopped tomatillos, onion, thyme, garlic, brown sugar, and salt.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to blend flavors. Serve as a dip for chips or as a condiment for grilled meats, hot dogs, burgers, steaks, or poultry. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.
- Make-Ahead Tip: Spoon the salsa into a storage container. Cover and chill for up to 1 week.