Recipe by Annacia
Using no-salt-added tomatoes and rinsing the beans and hominy helps cut sodium levels in this high fiber, smoky-tasting chili recipe. I originally found this in Diabetic Living.
- 8 ounces lean ground beef or 8 ounces uncooked ground chicken or 8 ounces turkey breast
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 -2 teaspoon chopped canned chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can yellow hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped (green or red)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, cook ground beef and onion over medium heat until brown. Drain off fat.
- Stir in cumin and oregano; cook for 1 minute more. Add chipotle peppers, tomatoes, red beans, hominy, sweet pepper, and the water.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Top each serving with cheese.