Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe I got on food network, but I've changed it enough to claim it my own
Make and share this Chipotle Chili Con Carne recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium onions
- 1 garlic clove
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (or crushed cumin seeds)
- salt, to taste
- 1 lb chuck, coarsely minced in food processer
- 7 ounces sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo (freeze the remaining chiles from the can)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 0.5 (12 ounce) bottle beer (the darker the better) or 1 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (or use slow cooker).
- Chop up the onions and garlic in the food processor and fry in some olive oil until softened.
- Add the chili powder and cumin and a salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop up the meat in the processor and add to the pan, cooking it until slightly browned.
- (if using slow cooker, transfer at this point).
- Place the sun-dried tomatoes and chipotle chilis in the processor with the oil and blend to form a paste.
- Add these to the beef with the tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and beer (or water). Season a little more, if need be.
- Bring to the boil, cover with greaseproof paper and a lid, then either turn the heat down to simmer and cook for 1 1/2 hours or transfer the pan to the oven for about 1 1/2 hours. (if using slowcooker, cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 1 1/2 hours).
- Add the beans 30 minutes before the end of cooking time.