1/1 Photo of Chipotle Chicken Stew
This stew is great served as taco filling in a corn tortilla, with your favorite side of rice, and it is low in fat. If you can't find turkey chorizo, you may substitute using 8 oz extra-lean ground turkey and brown with 1 tsp chili powder. Cook and prep time does not include time to poach and shred chicken. This recipe is from Low-fat Mexican Cooking and has been slightly revised.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 8 ounces turkey chorizo
- 1 (406 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 chiles chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large potato, peeled, boiled, and cubed (leftover baked potato works great)
- 1Heat oil in small saucepan over med-low heat. Add chopped onion and garlic, and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add chorizo and saute mixture for 4-6 minutes until the onion is soft.
- 2Add tomatoes, chiles (with a bit of adobo sauce), sugar, and water to the pan. Stir, season with salt and pepper and add potaotes.
- 3Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally; then add the chicken and simmer until the contents have a consistency of thick stew.
- 4Note: To poach chicken breasts, place in large saucepan, cover with water, and add pinch of salt,(may add large slice of onion, crushed garlic and peppercorn for extra seasoning), cover and gently simmer for 25 minutes. Allow chicken to cool in the water, then remove it. Shred the breast with a fork.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.4
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 51.3 mg
- Sodium 285.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 23.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo