Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
this came from a cooking lite magazine, i haven't tried it but it sounds very good.
- cooking spray
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups 1-inch cubed peeled red potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots (1-inch-thick)
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 (16 ounce) cans broth
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 drained canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Place a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken; saute 7 minutes or until browned.
- Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Add oil to pan.
- Add onion; saute 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Add potato and the next 6 ingredients (potato through chiles); bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken and salt; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro.
Great recipe! I made a couple of changes. I used 2 cups less broth and only 2 cans of tomato. Because of that I only used 1 tsp of cumin. Also, I probably used closer to 1 1/2 pounds of chicken. Turned out great!! Will be making this a lot. Thanks for sharing! Also thought it might be good leaving out the carrots and potatoes and adding black beans and maybe some crushed up chips with cheese on top.
We thought this was great. Its a bit spicy, but we like it that way. I added some zucchini in the last 15 minutes, and may add corn next time I make this. Served it with saffron rice. Thanks for posting!
This is an excellent recipe. I've made it several times and have added it to my "absolute favorites" category.