Recipe by Bert's Kitchen Witch
This is a delicious spicy, "South of the Border" style Chicken Soup.This soup is served by "layering" the chicken, fresh avocado, green scallions, and cilantro in the soup bowls, and ladling in the broth.Lime makes the perfect garnish, for squeezing in your bowl. (Times stated do not include the time for cooked chicken to cool.)
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
wow this is certainly a different twist on soup, I made this using chicken thighs instead of breast, this is time-consuming, I might made this a little differently to save some time the next time, thanks for sharing!...Kitten:)
- 4 whole chicken breasts
- 2 medium Spanish onions (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo (drained and minced fine)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 large avocados
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (lemon will work)
- 6 green onions (chopped fine)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 1 large lime (cut into wedges)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken, Spanish onions, garlic,and the chipotle in a large soup pot.
- Sprinkle in the salt,and the garlic and onion powders.
- Put in enough water to cover over all.(about 2 quarts).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook at a "fast simmer",( but not a "rolling" boil) for about 1 hour, or until chicken is thoroughly done.
- Remove the chicken to cool.Keep the broth over low heat in the meantime.
- Taste the broth and adjust the seasonings as desired (more salt, etc.).
- Peel, pit and chop the avocados into small chunks.
- Pour the lime juice over the avocado chunks and toss.
- When chicken is cooled enough to handle, remove ALL bones, fat and gristle.
- Tear all the chicken meat into bite size bits.
- Arrange equal amounts of the chicken meat in 4 soup bowls.
- Do the same over the chicken meat with the green onion, cilantro, and avocado.
- Ladle the hot broth into each bowl,and serve with lime wedges.