- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small napa cabbage, thinly sliced (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely shredded cooked chicken, preferably grilled or roasted
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled,pitted and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely grated mexican queso anejo or 1⁄3 cup other dry grating cheese, such as romano or parmesan
- 12 -16 warm fresh corn tortillas
- The Filling: In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil and chipotles.
- Season generously with salt, usually about a generous 1/4 teaspoon.
- Add the cabbage, carrot, onion, cilantro and chicken.
- Toss everything together and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Taste and season with additional salt if necessary.
- Finishing The Dish: Scoop the filling into a wide shallow serving bowl, dot with the cubed avocado and dust generously with the cheese.
- Serve with warm tortillas.
We had this for dinner tonight and it was delish! Wonderful flavors. Thank you for sharing, my family and I enjoyed it very much!
I can't believe I haven't rated this yet. I've made these a good many times. Talk about yummy! I use the leftover's from the Roast "Sticky" Chicken found on this site (can't seem to locate the recipe number), which adds a fabulous flavor to the chicken. I also grate the carrots rather than cut them into small pieces (at the request of my denture-wearing neighbor pal who eats here often). Truly great tacos! So glad to have bumped into this recipe. :)
great with fresh green or purple cabbage too. I also added lime juice to spike it up a bit and 2 more chipotles ... yummy!