1/6 Photos of Chipotle Chicken Posole
Typically posole is made with pork and sometimes beef. I got an email the other day for a posole made with turkey. It looked interesting and I did a little playing with it and came up with a nice warming soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 chipotle pepper, in adobe minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes and green chili peppers (Rotel)
- 1 (29 ounce) can white hominy, drained and rinsed (posole)
- 2 -3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1Place the chicken breasts in a medium size pot. Add in bay leaves and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until chicken is cooked through, approximately 15 minutes.
- 2Remove chicken from water and reserve the cooking liquid. When chicken is cool enough to handle, shred with 2 forks. Set aside.
- 3In a 4 qt dutch oven heat the olive oil. When warm add in chopped onion and garlic. Cook stirring frequently until onion is wilted and begins to brown lightly. Add in the minced chipotle, tomatoes, hominy, reserved cooking liquid and about 2 cups of chicken stock.
- 4Crush the oregano and add to the pot along with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a gently boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes to allow flavors to meld adding additional stock as needed.
- 5Serve in bowls with desired garnishes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Chicken Posole
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 333.7
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 41.3 mg
- Sodium 678.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 20.5 g