Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Was in the mood to be creative last night. LOL This what I came up with and my family LOVED it. It is quite hot for me anyway LOL I served it with a Pepper cornbread.You can switch up the cheeses to suit your taste. I added the juice from the chipoltes a teaspoon at a time until I got the heat I wanted , ended up using it all LOL
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed into bite size pieces
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 2 1⁄2 cups elbow macaroni (this is the uncooked measure)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can chipotle peppers, drained and chopped SAVE the juice
- 2⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn, drained
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 3⁄4 cup nacho chip, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup cheese
- In the 1/2 cup hot water soak the sundried tomatoes until soft, discard water and chop the tomatoes. Chop all other ingredients and shred the cheese.
- Cook elbow pasta , drain and set aside.While pasta is cooking heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a LARGE skillet and brown chicken until no longer pink and it has a golden colour, remove from pan add extra oil if needed and saute the celery, garlic and onion.
- Once these are softened remove from pan . Melt butter in same pan , scraping up any brown bits, wisk in flour and cumin and cook until it bubbles and gets a bit foamy , slowly wisk in the milk, cook until it thickens add the cheeses EXCEPT the 1/2 cup listed at the bottom of the recipe. Stir until melted over a low heat add the sundried tomatoes and chilpotles cook for a couple minutes for the flavours to meld. Add the liquid from the canned chilpotles a couple teaspoons at a time to suit your taste. Add pasta, chicken, corn and cooked veggies. Mix well .Pour into a large casserole . I used a 2 quart oval casserole.
- Top with the crushed nachos and cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
This thing is freaking delicious!!! Couldn't find sun-dried tomatoes, so I ended up cutting some fresh tomatoes for this recipe. Someone in my family can't handle spicy food, so I only added one chipotle pepper from a can into the mixture, then used chipotle chili pepper to make up for the flavor. My family LOVED it! Will make it again!
Hooo boy we loved this dish! I used a regular tomato and left out the onions, otherwise made as specified. I used the whole can of chipotles with juice and it was nice and spicy but not overly so. Adding celery to a dish like this was surprising to me but it was really good. I think you could replace the chicken with a can of black beans if you wanted to make this meatless. This one's a winner - thanks for sharing your recipe!
I LOVED this recipe!! I added 1 can each of black beans, dark red kidney beans, garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained. I also added a can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos. I did not add the sun-dried tomatoes as we are not fans. I took it to our neighborhood bonfire last night and it was gone in a flash! Thanks so much for posting this recipe! I will put this in our rotation. Made and reviewed for Zaar Chow Hounds ZWT 5.