Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is rather spicy and very filling. It looks like a look of ingredients/steps, but it really is not hard at all to put together!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or 8 ounces whole wheat linguine
- 10 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons green chilies (canned or jarred)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, julienned
- 2 summer squash, cut in 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 ounce chipotle peanuts (Emerald Brand)
- 3 tablespoons scallions, sliced thinly for garnish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, separated
Chipotle Dry Rub for Chicken
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Line baking sheet with foil and place rack over the pan.
- Preheat broiler with prepared rack and pan.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking continue.
- Combine Chipotle Dry Rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- If using whole chicken breast, cut into 1 inch strips.
- In a large bowl or plastic freezer bag toss chicken pieces and dry rub until coated.
- Remove pan from oven broiler and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place spiced chicken strips on rack and return to broiler oven.
- Broil chicken 7 minutes then turn.
- Broil chicken 5 minutes more then set aside.
- Place 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- When oil is heated add summer squash slices in a single layer over the pan.
- Place lid over pan and let cook 3 minutes.
- Remove lid, turn squash and replace lid for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove squash and hold to the side.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil to pan with red onion slices.
- Sautee red onion until lightly carmelized.
- Add tomatoes, green chiles, and reserved squash to pan and heat through.
- Add sour cream to pan and stir to combine.
- Reserve a small amount of cheddar cheese for garnish.
- Add remaining cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
- When pasta is ready add to frying pan with sauce and stir to coat.
- Remove pasta and sauce to 4 plates.
- Evenly distribute chicken strips or tenders on top of pasta.
- Sprinkle each serving with reserved cheddar, scallions, and chopped chipotle peanuts and serve.
- **If you don't have the brand name peanuts available where you live follow the next steps.
- Take a small non-stick fry pan.
- Add 1/4 cup of unsalted dry roasted peanuts.
- Add 1 Tbsp of Olive or Canola Oil & stir over low heat.
- Take 2 tsp of ground chipotle pepper and add to pan.
- Stir fry the peanuts until they are covered in seasoning and you can smell the peanuts are toasted.
- Let cool before chopping and adding to the recipe :P.