Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Hidden Valley Contest Entry. It has a great ranch taste with a kick of spice and smokiness from the chipotle peppers. The bacon bread crumbs add a unique taste and crunch to the whole recipe that makes it wonderfully delicious. It will be an instant favorite for your whole family.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 chipotle peppers, minced with
- 2 tablespoons adobo seasoning, plus
- 2 tablespoons adobo seasoning, for sauce (add more peppers and adobo if desired for more heat)
- 3 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces chicken stock
- 16 ounces half-and-half
- 8 ounces Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 9 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (kerrygold dubbliner)
- 1 lb macaroni, cooked
- kosher salt
- 3 slices thick cut bacon
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup chives, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven 350.
- Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sweat for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sweat for 1 minute or until the onions are translucent. Using a wooden spoon stir in the flour until fully incorporated. Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to almost low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the mixture is simmering heat a sauté pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until it is almost smoking. Add chicken, season with salt and cook until browned on all sides and cooked through. Add chipotle peppers with 2 tbsp adobo and toss to coat. Toss the chicken with the cooked macaroni and put in a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside.
- To finish the cheese sauce bring half and half to a gentle simmer and slowly mix in to roux. Add the ranch, cheddar, and 2 tbsp adobo and mix to combine. Season with salt to taste. Add cheese sauce to the baking dish and mix to combine with macaroni and chicken. Sprinkle with bacon bread crumbs and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. (If desired after baking use the broiler to achieve a more brown and crisp top).
- For bacon bread crumbs cook bacon till crispy, allow to cool, and then finely mince. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and toss to mix. Bacon bread crumbs can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Bacon seems ubiquitous these days, but GOOD bacon dishes are not. We tried this recipe last night, as we were in dire need of a comfort food dish, and we were blown away by its ease of preparation, its hearty fullness and its remarkably toothsome and great taste. This dish rocks and we'll definitely make it again!
Very good! I loved the ranch dressing in this, and I usually hate the stuff. It works well in this dish though, as it adds a nice mellow background flavor. I left out the chicken completely, as I already had a roast to serve the mac & cheese with. The bacon and adobo were inspired additions, and I don't think I'll be able to make mac & cheese any other way now that I've discovered this recipe. Just perfect, really- thanks for sharing!
Yum! I love everything about this dish.