Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
This hearty rich soup is a definite must during cold wintery days. Serve with some warm flour tortillas and butter, and you will have to loosen your belt when you finish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded into small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 cup masa harina
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 lb sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 4 ounces canned green chilies
- 3 medium red potatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 canned chipotle chile (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- sour cream (optional)
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil, onion,celery, and garlic; saute about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to pot, and stir.
- In a bowl whisk masa harina and 2 cups of water, and mix until well blended.
- Add masa mixture to the soup pot.
- Add remaining cup of water, enchilada sauce, cheese, spices, green onions, green chiles and the chipotle chile, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cooked shredded chicken and potatoes to pot and simmer for 20 more minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cilantro and ladle into bowls.
- Dollop with sour cream, if desired.
I fixed this one for mu husban while he was fighting the flu! It was great!