Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rich spicy chowder for when you want something savory & different. As this is a lower carbohydrate recipe I tried potato substitutes but decided that it was better with just the onion, peppers & celery.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, cook bacon until browned & crisp. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel lined plate.
- Add next three ingredients and sauté until onions are translucent, 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic & sauté an additional minute.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock & chicken thighs. Over high heat bring to a boil & then reduce heat to simmer until the thighs are cooked through, 15-20 minutes.
- With tongs or slotted spoon remove thighs to a cutting board. Remove bones. Roughly chop chicken & add back to stock pot.
- Add salt, pepper, chipotle & cream to pot. Simmer for five minutes, taste & adjust seasonings if necessary,.
- Serve hot in bowls & garnish with cilantro, cheese & sour cream if desired.