1/1 Photo of Chipotle Chicken Chili - Spicy
3 hrs 30 mins
Reverend Paul's Note:
This is an easy tomato based chicken chili recipe with beans. Using a rotisserie chicken makes it preparation easy and quick. I made up this recipe for a church chili dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 ounces chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 1 cooked chicken, boned and cut up (discard the skin)
- 1In a soup pot, add celery, onion, red peppers, canned tomatoes, chicken broth, tomato paste, pureed chipotle chili (puree in blender with the adobo sauce. It might work better if you add some of the chicken broth), chili powder and cumin. Cook at a low boil for an hour or so.
- 2Puree half a can of dark red kidney beans in a blender or food processor and add to the soup pot. Add the remaining 1 ½ cans of kidney beans, red beans and black beans to the pot. Simmer for at least 2 hours.
- 3If it is not “hot” enough add as much Tabasco sauce as you need to achieve the “heat” you desire.
- 4If you are making it a day ahead (If you do the flavors will blend well), turn off the heat and add the chicken. (It works well to use an already cooked rotisserie chicken.) After it cools, refrigerate. When you are ready to serve, heat to boiling. (You don’t want to cook it for very long after you add the chicken to avoid having the chicken fall apart.).
- 5If you plan to serve it right away, add the chicken 15 or twenty minutes before serving and heat to boiling.
- 6Optional: Serve with grated cheese, cilantro, sliced green onions and sour cream as toppings.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Chicken Chili - Spicy
Serving Size: 1 (623 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.5
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 21.3 mg
- Sodium 1303.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 93.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.3 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 37.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo