Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 lb finely diced gruyere cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1⁄2 lb finely diced emmenthaler cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 1⁄3 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons kirsch
- freshly ground nutmeg, to taste if desired
- 3 canned whole chipotle chiles in adobo, to taste,minced (about 1 1/2 tablespoons, *available at Hispanic markets and some specialty foods shops)
- fried shallots or thinly sliced scallion tops or crumbled cooked bacon, for stirring into fondue is desired
For the fried shallots
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced shallots (about 8 large)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- assorted cooked vegetables, such as broccoli,carrots,pearl onions,and potatoes
- cubes day-old French bread or Italian bread or sourdough bread
- To make the fondue: In a bowl toss together cheeses and cornstarch.
- Rub inside of a heavy 3- to 4-quart saucepan with garlic halves, leaving garlic in pan, and add wine and lemon juice.
- Bring liquid just to a boil and stir in cheese mixture by handfuls.
- Bring mixture to a bare simmer over moderate heat, stirring, and stir in kirsch, nutmeg, chilies, and pepper to taste.
- Transfer fondue to a fondue pot and set over a low flame.
- Stir in fried shallots, scallions, and/or bacon if using and serve fondue with accompaniments for dipping.
- (Stir fondue often to keep combined.) To make the fried shallots: In a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet cook shallots in oil moderately high heat, stirring, until golden brown.
- Transfer shallots with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
- Makes about 2/3 cup.
Ok this was a hot one!! My can of chilies were hotter then normal!Check my putting a little at a time.I followed it exactly!1-1/2 tablespoons I wish I tasted it before putting in the whole amount. I made a turkey loin to dip into the fondue with a bunch of vegies. You definitely need bread to help cool your mouth down!
I bet fried bacon and chiles must do wonders to the delicate white wine flavor...