My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb finely diced gruyere cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 lb finely diced emmenthaler cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 1/3 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons kirsch
- freshly ground nutmeg, to taste if desired
- 3 canned whole chipotle chiles in adobo, to taste,minced (about 1 1/2 tablespoons, *available at Hispanic markets and some specialty foods shops)
- fried shallots or thinly sliced scallion tops or crumbled cooked bacon, for stirring into fondue is desired
For the fried shallots
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced shallots (about 8 large)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- assorted cooked vegetables, such as broccoli,carrots,pearl onions,and potatoes
- cubes day-old French bread or Italian bread or sourdough bread
- 1To make the fondue: In a bowl toss together cheeses and cornstarch.
- 2Rub inside of a heavy 3- to 4-quart saucepan with garlic halves, leaving garlic in pan, and add wine and lemon juice.
- 3Bring liquid just to a boil and stir in cheese mixture by handfuls.
- 4Bring mixture to a bare simmer over moderate heat, stirring, and stir in kirsch, nutmeg, chilies, and pepper to taste.
- 5Transfer fondue to a fondue pot and set over a low flame.
- 6Stir in fried shallots, scallions, and/or bacon if using and serve fondue with accompaniments for dipping.
- 7(Stir fondue often to keep combined.) To make the fried shallots: In a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet cook shallots in oil moderately high heat, stirring, until golden brown.
- 8Transfer shallots with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and season with salt.
- 9Makes about 2/3 cup.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle Cheese Fondue
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 476.6
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 62.4 mg
- Sodium 202.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 18.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo