Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Gourmet recipe. Accompaniments: assorted cooked vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, pearl onions, and potatoes, bread sticks cubes of day-old French, Italian, or sourdough bread.
- 1⁄2 lb finely diced gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 lb finely diced emmenthaler cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 large garlic cloves, halved
- 1 1⁄3 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 -3 tablespoons kirsch
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste if desired (optional)
- 3 whole chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- thinly sliced scallion top
- In a bowl toss together cheeses and cornstarch.
- Rub inside of a heavy 3- to 4-quart saucepan with garlic halves, leaving garlic in pan, and add wine and lemon juice.
- Bring liquid just to a boil and stir in cheese mixture by handfuls.
- Bring mixture to a bare simmer over moderate heat, stirring, and stir in kirsch, nutmeg, chilies, and pepper to taste.
- Transfer fondue to a fondue pot and set over a low flame.
- Stir in scallions and serve fondue with accompaniments for dipping. (Stir fondue often to keep combined.).