Recipe by L-Burden
This is a 30 minute meal by Rachael Ray...and it's delicious! It's spicy, but you can control the heat. Just alter the amount of chipotle in adobo that you use. It's a GREAT combination of sweet and spicy all at once.
Top Review by Karabea
I made this recipe after watching RR make it on her show, and it looked so good! It was delicious The only thing I did not like was the rice...following these instructions, my rice came out mushy. Not sure if I did something wrong or not, but I would definitely make the chicken part again...delicious!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, 1/4 finely chopped, 3/4 thinly sliced
- 2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 10 -12 water chestnuts, whole
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 3 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo (2 peppers and their sauce)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup real maple syrup
- 2 -3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot over medium heat combine 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, and 1 Tbsp butter.
- When butter melts, add chopped onion. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add rice and cook 3 minutes more.
- Add stock and cover the pot. Raise heat and bring stock to rapid boil.
- Once stock boils, reduce heat to low and cook stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, 17-18 minute.
- While rice cooks, make the chicken.
- Heat large skillet over high heat.
- Add vegetable oil, then chicken.
- Season chicken with grill seasoning.
- Brown chicken on both sides, season with soy sauce, then move off to one side of the pan.
- Add the remaining onions, garlic, and peppers.
- Cook 3 minutes then add water chestnuts and green peas. Mix veggies and meat together.
- Add the chipotles in adobo and cumin.
- Toss to coat.
- Glaze the mixture with honey and maple syrup, and turn off the heat.
- Add in the cilantro and cashew nuts.
- Top rice with cashew chicken and serve.