Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a 30 minute meal by Rachael Ray...and it's delicious! It's spicy, but you can control the heat. Just alter the amount of chipotle in adobo that you use. It's a GREAT combination of sweet and spicy all at once.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, 1/4 finely chopped, 3/4 thinly sliced
- 2 cups quick-cooking brown rice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 10 -12 water chestnuts, whole
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 3 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo (2 peppers and their sauce)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup real maple syrup
- 2 -3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews
- In a medium pot over medium heat combine 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, and 1 Tbsp butter.
- When butter melts, add chopped onion. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add rice and cook 3 minutes more.
- Add stock and cover the pot. Raise heat and bring stock to rapid boil.
- Once stock boils, reduce heat to low and cook stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, 17-18 minute.
- While rice cooks, make the chicken.
- Heat large skillet over high heat.
- Add vegetable oil, then chicken.
- Season chicken with grill seasoning.
- Brown chicken on both sides, season with soy sauce, then move off to one side of the pan.
- Add the remaining onions, garlic, and peppers.
- Cook 3 minutes then add water chestnuts and green peas. Mix veggies and meat together.
- Add the chipotles in adobo and cumin.
- Toss to coat.
- Glaze the mixture with honey and maple syrup, and turn off the heat.
- Add in the cilantro and cashew nuts.
- Top rice with cashew chicken and serve.
I made this recipe after watching RR make it on her show, and it looked so good! It was delicious The only thing I did not like was the rice...following these instructions, my rice came out mushy. Not sure if I did something wrong or not, but I would definitely make the chicken part again...delicious!
I was so happy to see this recipe posted on Zaar. I have made this many times for family and friends, and it is always a hit. Thanks BizzyMom for taking the time to list it here - now I can save it to my cookbook on Zaar. My printed copy was getting hard to read - I can be a messy cook.
We like spicy food in our house so I decided to use all three chipotle peppers. Once it was served over rice it tempered the heat a little, but next time I will probably try 1 1/2 peppers. I shoud have listened to BizzyMom's advice. I had some imitation crab on hand and used that in place of the chicken and it was very good. We really enjoyed this dish and will be making it again soon. Thanks for the recipe.