Recipe by Chef Sarita in Austin Texas
Tender and stick to your ribs meal. The Goya Sazon is in most food stores in the Mexican isle next to the powder spices in a small yellow/orange box but you can most certainly find it in Mexican specialty stores.
Top Review by Weewah
I'd never heard of this dish, but we love Mexican and we thought it was great. I made a substitution or two to avoid going to the grocery store, & found a recipe online for the 'sazon goya culantro con achiote' which I had never heard of. That consists of black pepper, garlic pdr,coriander, cumin, oregano, msg & annatto/anchiote seeds - for which paprika supposedly can be substituted. Likewise I had no powdered chicken & tomato bullion, so I used bullion cubes & half a can of tomato sauce I had in the freezer. This stew was a wonderful, homey, comfort food; the whole house smells amazing! We enjoyed ours served with fresh chopped green onions and warm corn tortillas. Thanks for a new favorite!
- 236.59 ml tomatoes, chopped
- 295.73 ml sliced onions
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 3-4 sprig fresh cilantro
- 59.14 ml cooking oil
- 907.18-1133.98 g beef, meat stew (cut small)
- 14.79 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml salt
- 14.79 ml bouillon, powder tomatoe and chicken flavor (preffer Knorr)
- 198.44 g chipotle chiles in adobo (1 table spoon of the sauce is needed only)
- 1 chipotle pepper (also from that same 7 oz. can)
- 1 packet sazon goya culantro con achiote
- 709.77-946.36 ml water
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the beef stew meat with the cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil and add the onions, bell pepper and tomatoes on medium high heat. Saute for about 5-7 mins or until translucent. Add the seasoned meat and brown (on High heat) for about 7-10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of hot water to the pan. Add the bullion, chipotle sauce/pepper Sazon Goya and stir.
- Cover and cook on medium high heat for about 45 mins or until most of the liquid is absorbed then uncover and add 1 more cup of water. Cover and simmer for another 30 mins or until liquid is almost absorbed. Uncover and add another 1 cup of water and cilantro. Cover and simmer for 20-30 mins more. Turn heat off and let stand, covered, for another 10-15 mins for liquid to thicken. Serve with rice.