Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I was looking for a recipe to use up a butternut squash that was given to me and decided to go out on my own and make a chili. This has a nice amount of heat with the chipotle and no gamey taste. My kids (4 and 19m) gobbled it up with the addition of sour cream, shredded cheddar and a glass of milk.
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ground venison or 1 lb lean beef
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the butternut squash with olive oil, spread out on pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender but not mushy. Set aside.
- Brown meat with green pepper, onion and garlic until no longer pink.
- Add diced tomatoes, Rotel, black beans, cumin, chili powder, chipotle pepper and salt.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and simmer another 10 minutes.