Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
In 'The Book of Burger' by Rachael Ray
- 1 3⁄4 lbs ground chuck
- 1⁄4 lb smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pureed chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 -4 tablespoons grated onions
- kosher salt
- vegetable oil
- 6 burger rolls, split
3-Cheese Queso Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated manchego cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- crispy tortilla chips (blue, yellow or multigrain)
- minced red onion
- chopped cilantro
- chopped seeded tomatoes
- pickled jalapeno pepper
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet or griddle over med-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beef, bacon, chipotle puree, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and grated onion (grate it right over the bowl so the juices fall into the meat); season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Score the mixture into 6 equal portions and form them into patties slightly thinner at the center than at the edges for even cooking.
- Drizzle the patties with a little oil.
- Cook the burgers 5 minutes on each side for medium.
- While the burgers are cooking, make the queso sauce-melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and bring up to a bubble.
- Simmer until the sauce has thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in all the cheeses.
- Place the burgers on the roll bottoms and top with queso sauce, chips, and other toppings of choice.
- Set the roll tops in place.