Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Good for pork, chicken, shrimp - you name it.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped (reserve some adobo sauce if you like more heat and smoky flavor)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the ketchup, bourbon, vinegars, molasses, honey, chipotle, thyme and cayenne. Taste; if you like more heat and smoky flavor, add reserved adobo sauce. Simmer over low heat, until thickened, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer the barbecue sauce to a blender or use immersion blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.