Recipe by Little Suzy Homemaker
From the Washington Post. Can be frozen up to 3 months. For a non-vegetarian version add a hambone or 1 link of andouille or smoked sausage. You can also make this on the stove top in an hour. Just add all ingredients as you would for the crockpot and simmer for an hour or until all the veggies are well cooked. Then puree as directed. I also used 2 chipotles instead of two. This was very good!
- 45 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄3 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, cut into small pieces
- 4 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure chile powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- shredded monterey jack cheese or cheddar cheese, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- lime wedge, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the drained black beans, onion, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, chipotle chilit pepper, broth, marjoram, chili powder and cumin in a 5 quart slow cooker; stir to combine. (If using meat submerge it in the center of the mixture).
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 hours, stirring once or twice during that time. The soup with thicken slightly as it cooks.
- Working in batches, puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a food processor until smooth. (If using meat, remove it before pureeing and return it to the soup afterward.) Taste and add salt as needed.
- To serve, ladle the soup into individual bowls; top with grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream, and lime wedges on the side.