Cook4 hrs 30 mins
One of my favorites. I sometimes use four cans of black beans in place of the dried, and all chicken broth without the water. I also like to puree the whole batch with my hand blender, but that's just personal preference. This is a very forgiving soup, so just do what you like!
- 236.59 ml dried black beans (about 6 ounces)
- 118.29 ml boiling water
- 1 chipotle chile, finely chopped
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 473.18 ml water
- 1.23 ml dried oregano
- 0.59 ml ground cumin
- 453.59 g can low sodium chicken broth
- 1.23 ml ground red pepper
- 411.06 g candiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 118.29 ml plain fat-free yogurt
- 59.14 ml finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- To prepare soup, sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beans, chipotle chile, 2 cups water, oregano, cumin, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours or until beans are soft.
- Place 1 cup of soup in a blender; process until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in pepper and tomatoes; cook until thoroughly heated.
- Ladle soup into each of 4 bowls; top with yogurt and cheese.
Very good soup - I did use four cans of black beans which made for a very quick meal. Added some left over chopped cooked chicken for a nice meal on a cold winter night. Thanks for posting.
This soup was excellent! I used canned black beans, spiced it up a little bit more (personal preference) and mashed some of the soup with a potato masher instead of using a blender. BF said this was delicious! Thanks for a great recipe :)
Wow - a new fav in my cookbook! I too was forced to use canned chipotles (availability) but stole Rita's suggestion of using a bit of the sauce. Wonderful smokey undertone. Hearty and filling soup and easy to make. Will definitely make again.