1/2 Photos of Chipotle-Black Bean Soup
4 hrs 40 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
One of my favorites. I sometimes use four cans of black beans in place of the dried, and all chicken broth without the water. I also like to puree the whole batch with my hand blender, but that's just personal preference. This is a very forgiving soup, so just do what you like!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried black beans (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 chipotle chile, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1To prepare soup, sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; bring to a boil, and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain.
- 2Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add beans, chipotle chile, 2 cups water, oregano, cumin, and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours or until beans are soft.
- 3Place 1 cup of soup in a blender; process until smooth. Return to pan. Stir in pepper and tomatoes; cook until thoroughly heated.
- 4Ladle soup into each of 4 bowls; top with yogurt and cheese.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chipotle-Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (473 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.1
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 8.0 mg
- Sodium 520.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 17.3 g